Saturday 5 September 2020

An Introduction, A Farewell and a New Range of Jacklex

AN INTRODUCTION, A FAREWELL AND A NEW RANGE OF JACKLEX

I hope you will forgive me for introducing myself along with a bit of a plug for Jacklex Miniatures. My name is Mark Lodge and I am the owner of Jacklex which I took on from Peter Johnstone of Spencer Smith Miniatures in October last year. I have been wargaming, painting, modelling, battlefield touring and military history 'buffing' since the Middle Ages. Very fortunately I have a group of long-time friends, including the talented Andy Callan and Ash Toms who have helped to make the experience hugely fun. 

Taking on a business has been a bit of an eye opener for a retired infanteer, but I am delighted to say that I have come newly into contact with a large group of fantastically supportive and loyal customers which has made the experience of my first year with Jacklex a real pleasure.

What has also been a pleasure and privilege is to have met Jack Alexander at his home, surrounded by all his ships, buildings, figures and moulds. Jack, Bob Black and the late Alan Cook, of 'ABC Wargamers' have been tremendously kind to me in getting many of the old figures back into production. In particular I would like to take this opportunity to say a few words about Alan Cook.

I did not know Alan for very long but he made a huge impact on me in a short time and acted as a mentor to me in setting up the business. I found him to be a generous, positive, selfless gentleman with a very strong sense of humour and a great passion for all things Jacklex. I will miss him greatly and I wish Rosemary, his family and friends well at this very difficult time. I would like to share the photo below of my first ever meeting with Alan at Jack Alexander's house where Alan, Bob and Jack inducted me into the amazing world of Jacklex.    

The 'ABC Wargamers', Alan Cook, Jack Alexander and Bob Black

I now get to the point of this post. Alan had run the 'All Things Jacklex' blog since 2015. Back in May this year he asked me to take it on and I promised him that I would. So, this is my first ever post and I hope to add to it over the coming weeks. I trust my efforts will live up to Alan's meticulous eye and very high standards, I am sure he would approve.   


FRENCH INTERVENTION IN MEXICO 1861-1867: A NEW JACKLEX RANGE

Jacklex Miniatures is about to launch a new set of 20mm metal figures based on the French Intervention in Mexico, or as more often called the 'Mexican Adventure' The new range will be available from www.jacklexminiatures.com from 16 September.

The range is the first new range to go on sale since Jack Alexander's US Punitive Expedition to Mexico figures were made some years ago. The new figures were skilfully sculpted by Aidan Campbell and painted rather badly by me as you will see from the images. 

There are approximately 35 new foot and mounted figures as well as a gun crew, field gun, limber and team. I will let the figures speak for themselves. I hope you like the look of them. Whilst they are not exact reproductions of the existing Jacklex figures I have tried to keep the essence of Jack's lovely old school style.   

   The French and Allied Army range


FA 11 Cavalry trooper mounted
FA3 Infantry advancing with separate backpack
FA7 Zouave advancing
The Mexican Republican and Imperial Armies range
FM1 Regular officer firing
FM9 Militia advancing
FM6 Light Infantry running with separate rifle
FM13 Cavalry trooper mounted
FM2 Regular Infantry standing firing
Artillery and equipment, gun team and crew




The latter two illustrations are from the brush of Michel Provost, Belgian historian, author, painter and illustrator. His French-language novel ‘Tacámbaro’ chronicles the adventures of grenadier drummer Remi Tambour as part of the Belgian Legion in Mexico. Mr Provost has kindly given permission for the use of some of his illustrations here. 

His very characterful illustrations provided some of the inspiration for the new range of Jacklex figures. Visit Michel’s interesting and informative blog at http://provostmichel.blogspot.com.

Finally, before I started planning for the French Intervention range I knew very little of the military campaigning in Mexico in the 1860s. I now know a little more than I did and what has interested me most is that the war was going on concurrently with the American Civil War. Indeed, at the end of the this war the US was instrumental in the outcome. One of the small engagements that caught my eye was the Battle of Tacámbaro, partly because Michel Provost writes in so much detail about the Belgian Legion in his blog. On 3 April 1865, 250-300 men of the Legion occupied Tacámbaro. On 11 April, General Regules attacked the Belgians with between 3,000 and 3,500 Republican soldiers. Surrounded from all sides, the Belgians held out in a desperate fight for five hours, hoping for reinforcements which arrived four days too late. They were finally forced to surrender. This is one of a number of small scale battles that could be used as the basis for a wargame or campaign. To assist the wargamer, I have placed free to download painting guides and organisation sheet on the www.Jacklexminiatures.com  site. I hope to add a new set of rules by Andy Callan soon.     

Belgian Legion soldier and cantiniere 

Men of the Belgian Legion by Michel Provost


Please do contact me at info@jacklexminiatures.com if you have any comments or questions, I would be delighted to hear from you. 

Mark  


12 comments:

  1. Both the first blog entry and the new range are a fine tribute to Alan Cook and to Jacklex figures. I wish you well with the new range and the ongoing All Things Jacklex blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your kind comments, Mark

      Delete
  2. Oh I do like the look of those 'Maximillian' figures I will be having a look when they are in production . I only knew Alan Cook through his blog but he came across as a smashing bloke and a true gentleman , he will be missed , Tony

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Tony, thank you for your kind words. Alan was indeed a smashing bloke, it is a great loss to the Jacklex world and wargaming in general. Mark

      Delete
  3. Really pleased that Mark has taken over this blog. He has the existing range of Jacklex figures, including some that have never been seen or sold, and is keen to expand and develop the range.
    Jack has just celebrated his 91st birthday and although the range remains dear to him, and he wargames with his Jacklex figures, it is unlikely that he will be making additions to the range. But for the range to continue it needs to expand, adding to ranges and adding new periods - which is what Mark is doing. It also needs to appeal to newer wargamers. Jack is very supportive of Mark's endeavours.
    Today's wargaming figures seem to grow ever larger, bulkier and heavily detailed. In contrast Jacklex figures have a style and charm of their own. Painted neatly and simply they look terrific on the table.
    I hope Mark and this blog get the support they deserve

    Bob Black

    ReplyDelete
  4. You’ve made a great start ... and the way you have expanded the Jacklex range is great! I’ve love Jack’s figures ever since I bought my first ones many years ago, and as I am giving serious consideration to replacing my 15mm figures with 20mm ones, Jacklex will be my ‘go to’ range.

    All the best,

    Bob Cordery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Bob, thank you for your kind and inspirational words. High praise indeed. I hope I can persuade you to take that 20mm plunge! Mark

      Delete
  5. Very excited by this new range. Luckily I come home from a trip on 14th September so that's my evening sorted!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Matt, Look forward to doing business with you again! Mark

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi team, I've stumbled across your blog whilst looking through Mark's (of My Brave Fusiliers) blog list. I know of Jacklex but have never owned any - something that needs to change. Love the new range especially the Cavalry - very cool. Cheers Greg (Delta Coy Blog)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Greg, good to hear from you and I am pleased you like the new range. The old school style of Jacklex have always appealed to me and they are really easy to paint as well. My favourite period is the ACW but the more I read about the various Mexican wars the more it interests me. Let me know if I can help in any way. Mark

    ReplyDelete