Tuesday 24 March 2020

A couple more conversions for Mahdist Gunners

I felt that the Madhist forces should have one more gun and whilst the Indian gunners make an easy conversion, I also felt that the poses were a little too formal.  When he sent me some gunners Mark also included a couple of British Gunners the standing figure with the rammer and the other carrying a shell. I did a head swap for an Indian gunner head and added a bit of green stuff a little more successfully that before and think they ring the changes.  Wish my left eye was better as the painting isn't all that.  But I think they work.




 


I only had a mountain gun to show the figures against, but I think they will look better against the field gun.

I was looking at a clip of the Gordon of Khartoum film just to get an idea of the gun crews, mostly the Egyptian forces and noticed for the very first time that in the final battle scenes for the attack on Khartoum, the film includes a field gun being drawn into position by a limber team driven by Mahdists outriders.  Have seen the film many times before but never noticed it before! We have lots of gun teams in Jack's colonial army so I have ask Mark if he can send me a couple of Madhist mounted standard bearers (no shields or weapons to cut off) so I can substitute them for the British outriders on one team.

7 comments:

  1. Its those extra touches, like the limber riders that make the difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ross, yes I agree they will be a fun addition. The clip of the gun team in the film is only a second or two so I excuse myself for not seeing it before..

      Delete
  2. They look darn good to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, I made a better fist of the green stuff this time. I need to trust the tissue technique that was suggested, but I had started on these.

      Delete